Martes, Nobyembre 22, 2016

ILIGAN - City of Majestic Waterfalls

     This is my first blog since Yolanda/Haiyan.  The typhoon affected all of us terribly especially us in the Leyte-Samar area.  I couldn't get myself to face the computer and write happy thoughts.  It has been a while.  We are slowly moving on.

     This is about Iligan City in the Southern Philippines.  Iligan City had been home to my husband's family for quite a number of years.  And it is with fondness that we all return to this lovely place from time to time to go back to old memories and bask in the lovely view of Iligan's pride-its waterfalls. 

   
The Maria Cristina Falls
 


Iligan is home to the country's most popular falls -  the Maria Cristina.  The falls is open for public viewing only on certain days.  I understand on non-viewing days, you wouldn't see the falls as it is captured by a dam that converts all of the energy into electricity to supply power for Mindanao.  I was looking forward to twin falls as seen in most photographs but since we came in the summer of 2015, only one waterway was gushing.  

     Aside from the Maria Cristina, we bravely took the heart-pounding trek down to the Tinago Falls - a beauty nestled in the heart of the Iligan mountains.  Going down was not so bad.  It was the trek back up the hundred or so steps to civilization that was a huge feat.  But the view oh, the view was splendid.


The Tinago Falls
   
That's us there braving the pressure of the gushing water.  It was 'now or never'


    You could get to the mouth of Tinago via raft.  There is a group of  nature-oriented youth that see to the upkeep of the falls (or so I believe) and the operation of the raft.  For a modest amount of fifty pesos we were able to feel the pressure of the cold water on our backs  I almost run out of oxygen, haha.

     The internet has mine loads of information.  Since I'm the DIY type of traveler, I organized my itinerary from information I gathered from blogs of travelers and did got to these places.

     I believe there are 11 falls that are must see in the city.  Which means I still have nine to go.  See them next visit!

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento